Skip to main content

Old Friends in New Roles

Looks like 2016 is getting off to a good start. I have a date. And not just any date, mind you. It's a date with someone I've known for a minute.

This guy is actually the friend of a couple of friends, and I met him at my homegirl's house. I never thought he'd be interested in me -- especially since he met me during my summer of tears, also known as the summer of 2015. Heck, I didn't think I registered with him.

That is, until he reached out to me. I spent almost two months in California, and he hit me up on Facebook. I can't lie -- I was kinda surprised. Even though we've always been cool, I never thought he liked me. In fact, the chick he went to elementary school had been trying to fix him up with my neighbor. We made plans for him to buy me drinks at my birthday party in New York.

Sadly, the party didn't happen. But you know me -- I reached out to him and said, "Say, the party didn't happen, but you still owe me drinks." He agreed, and we made plans to have drinks one evening. Since I wasn't really sure what kind of affair it was, I wore jeans and my Dallas shirt KNOWING that's he's a diehard Giants fan.

He picked out a cute little wine bar in Washington Heights. For a change, I got there early and waited for him. When he got there, he was the perfect gentleman. We laughed, talked, drank, and had a really good time. Since he had another engagement afterward, we ended the evening and went on our way.

Fast forward to the weekend. We both found ourselves at the same party -- which happens because we know the same people -- and he was like, "So when are we hanging out again?" We ended up making plans for dinner.

And that's where I am now. After over a week of texting and phone calls, I'm really excited to see what can happen now that I'm free from New Boo.

Speaking of which, I ran into his best friend at that same party. He looked at me with a perplexed look and said, "You look good." I thanked him, and he added, "You look happy."

That's the whole point...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th...

I Own My Tears

I own my tears. I used this as a hashtag on a Facebook post. I was talking about the movie, "The Fault in Our Stars." If you've seen it, you know what I mean, and I won't spoil it for you. Of course, you know me -- it's deeper than that. I need to say it out loud... I own my tears. New Boo meant the world to me. He really did. Our relationship meant the world to me. It really, really did. And now it's over and he's gone -- seemingly for good. That makes me cry more than I want to, and more than I have ever imagined I would. And while I hate it, I need to do this. I need to mourn this thing in its entirety because it has truly changed my life. I own my tears. I own the fact that I am hurt. I own the fact that I'm mourning a relationship that I wanted to work more than life itself. I wanted to be a part of a couple, and eventually a family. That may well happen for me one day. Today, though, it doesn't look likely. So yes, I cry. And you ...

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v...