I knew that race would be an issue in this year's presidential election. I had already surmised that we'd have to deal with ignorance from the media. However, for all I "knew," I was completely caught off guard with this.
Check the caption "Obama's Baby Mama." Are you kidding me!?! According to Wikipedia, the term "baby mama" refers to a mother who is not married to her child's father. The Oxford English Dictionary defines baby mama as "the mother of a man's child, who is not his wife or (in most cases) his current or exclusive partner".[1]
I probably wouldn't be so offended, but I have never heard the spouse of any public figure referred to in such terms. Cindy McCain, the wealthy wife of Senator John McCain, has never been called out as his Sugar Mama, although one could definitely argue that point, considering that since she made six million dollars by herself last year. Furthermore, has it ever crossed anyone's mind to make such references as "Bill's baby mama" or "Dubya's baby mama," in regards to Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush, respectively?
No, it only happened to Michelle Obama, the wife of Senator Barack Obama, a Black man. How completely racist and biased can one network be? Fox issued a statement blaming the gaffe on one of its producers. Since it's a known fact that nothing hits the air unless it goes through about four or five people, should we then assume that anyone at Fox News who saw the line never considered the offensiveness of it? Hmm...likely story, Faux News.
Relegating Michelle to "baby mama" status completely disrespects her position as "wife." She didn't just lay down with some man and have his babies. She stood before God and all her relatives to pledge her life to him. She took his name for herself and their children. She did it the biblical way.
If we're talking about Kim Porter and Angelina Jolie, yes, they are baby mamas. Michelle Obama is not, and Fox News should be called to the carpet for such a reference.
It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th...
Comments