Skip to main content

May 9, 2009

I'm upset with myself right now. I never thought things would get this bad, but they have. I've come to a point where I really don't know what I'm going to do about my bills.

Let me back up for those of you who really don't know. My career has taken some interesting turns since I've been in California -- mostly for the bad. Most recently, I was forced to leave the job I had teaching radio to children because they wanted to drop me down from 25 hours a week to 12. Since I lived a good 45 minutes from the job, it wasn't cost-effective for me to make the drive.

For the majority of 2009, I've been surviving on one part-time paycheck. Unfortunately, ALL of my bills are full-time. That has put me in a crazy bind because I really don't have anyone to depend on. When I was in NYC, my family depended on me for any extras. Now that I don't have anything, I'm pretty much on my own.

Thankfully, Mr. Wonderful has been in my corner, and he's as helpful as he can be. Up until now, I've been able to keep the severity of my situation under wraps. He knows that my money is funny, but I couldn't bring myself to say, "Dude, I'm about to lose my car and my phone's about to get disconnected. Oh, and by the way, the only reason I've been able to survive this long is that you've been feeding me on a regular basis." I just can't form those words with my lips.

So you can imagine how ugly it was for me when things came to such a point that I couldn't hide them anymore. I had to make a car payment to keep them coming for me. Unfortunately, that left me with a whopping $6 in the bank. Has my rent been paid? Of course not! Is there a stitch of food in my house or gas in my car? HA! And we can't even begin a conversation on all the things I need to keep up appearances -- makeup, clothes, shoes. And I'm not talking about extravagant things, either. My sneakers are falling apart, and I can't replace them. I haven't had anything new to wear in almost two years.

If I had a different, less public lifestyle, I wouldn't care. However, I've been blessed to work in an industry that requires me to look a certain way. For example, I have a speaking engagement on Tuesday. These people -- who, incidentally, think I'm balling out of control -- want me to talk to them about the importance of satellite radio. I have a dress to wear, but I'm gonna have to pull a few tricks out of the bag to make sure my hands and feet are up to par.

Anyway, I was at Mr. Wonderful's house when the $6 debacle occurred. I was so upset that I got back in bed and covered my head. When he asked me what was wrong, I had to tell him because I couldn't hide my distress. He was on his way out the door, but he said we'd discuss it when he got back. Even though I didn't want to, I told him just how bad my finances were.

For a person who prides herself on being strong, revealing this particular weakness was the hardest I've ever had to do. I tried to read his expressions, but it was hard since I was hiding my face under the covers.

And what was Mr. Wonderful's reaction to my plight? He said, "Well, let's see what we can do." He told me that he'd cover my rent until my check came, and we'd see about the phone bill. Basically, he found a solution to my problem. And as if that weren't sweet enough, he made my favorite food to cheer me up.

What can I say? He's awesome. So why, you ask, am I upset?

Because I never wanted to be in a position where a man would have to bail me out. I know that relationships consist of both give and take, but I hate being on the taking end so much. It's nice that he will, but I just don't want to stay in this place too long.

But I will say this -- it's nice to have someone around who doesn't mind having your back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Barack, the Nomination, and Black Love

I'm so excited about Barack Obama! I know I'm just joining the teeming millions when I say that, but I think something this big is worth repeating. Never before in the history of our country has a Black man been in a position to lead the free world, and it feels good. I'm so glad that I've lived long enough to see this day.

Beside the fact that Barack is a great candidate for the Democratic party, I'm moved by his relationship with Michelle. Not since The Cosby Show have we seen a successful Black couple who have a genuine and sincere love and respect for one another. What makes their relationship so special is that it's real -- not the product of someone's imagination.

I obviously don't know Michelle Obama, but I want to grow up to be just like her. I love the fact that she doesn't NEED Barack. She's strong, smart, and successful in her own right, yet secure enough to fall back and be supportive of her man. That's something that all y…

In My Feelings...Again

There are times when I think I should change the name of this blog. Today I do NOT feel like a diva. I feel like a pitiful mess of a woman who's completely in my feelings.

I hate it when I get here.

I was minding my business last night when Juice hit me up. (Remind me to tell you about him later.) He wanted to hang out because we'd actually said we would. But he's he's only after one thing and I wasn't inspired enough to venture out to deal with him, so I told him I was in for the evening.

At the same time, New Boo asked me if I'd done my hair.

Let's be clear. My hair in and of itself isn't necessarily that big a deal. However, him asking me about it could indicate that I was on his mind and that he cared about me in more than a horizontal way. That would be awesome...but I know it's not true. Even though I engaged in conversation with him -- because that's what I do -- it was painful.

I am lonely. I want to be with someone who cares about me. I…

Out of Time

Time. You always think you have more...until you don't. I'm there.

I just left the doctor, where we discussed my fibroid. She said it was huge. So huge, in fact, that she couldn't get it all. If there's a need for another surgery, it'll be a hysterectomy.

I want babies. I want to be someone's mother. I also want to be someone's wife before I become someone's mother. And therein lies my dilemma.

It would be stupid for me to have a baby with My Teddy Bear. That's the reality of my life right now. But it would be even stupider to have a child with New Boo. Not only does he not want any more babies, he does't take care of the ones he already has. I would be an absolute idiot to attempt procreation with him. And as quiet as it's kept, I'm not interested in raising a child alone. I want my baby to have a mother AND a father.

So here I am, a 46-year-old woman who's run out of time.