Skip to main content

The Baby...

I heard from The Baby today.

The Baby is a young man I met at work. Nice enough guy...he's 29...new to the radio game...and tall and lanky like I like 'em. He showed up at our studios because he was caught in the throes of his format's contract negotiations. When I saw him, I was kinda speechless. Not because he was cute -- he was -- but because I NEVER see other chocolate faces at my job.

The conversation we had was one part interesting, one part amusing, but completely charming. Even though my interest in him was purely professional, we exchanged numbers. See, in addition to working as a radio engineer, he also has the inside track to this weekly show I like. For me, that was it.

We exchanged a few texts, but nothing major. Then, one day he said that we should hang out. Since I'm always down for an adventure, I accepted. We ended up spending the day at the beach. We had a good time, but there were some definite red flags for me...

For one, he didn't tip at the restaurant. Even though I frown upon that, I probably would've given him a pass until he asked, "Uh, am I supposed to tip?" Dude, you're almost 30 years old asking questions like that?

Next, he got a little too happy at Happy Hour. After lunch, we went to a bar for Happy Hour. While I like to drink as much as the next person, I don't like getting sloppy on a first date -- or with strangers. Unfortunately, The Baby didn't get this memo. He sampled every drink on the menu...and followed that with two shots of Patron.

Which leads me to my final point...

He hasn't been out of the 'hood long enough for me. When he was fully sauced up, he started talking about how it was important for him to "make it" for, "the homies who ain't here no more." What do you say to that? While I understood his point, I was at a loss for words on a first date. I was kinda like, "Uh, well...okay." To say that was an awkward moment would be an understatement.

When I finally took him home -- yeah, he's car-less, too -- I reflected on the date. Yes, we had fun because he's smart, funny, and quite ambitious. And it was nice to be out with a cutie. Most importantly, it felt nice to be desired.

But his lack of experience in social settings bothered me. He's a diamond in the rough...one who'll need a LOT of polishing. Basically, a project. And after I got through making him a man, I know he'll march his manly self off to the next chick. And I just don't have the time or energy to invest in him right now.

Still, he called. And wants to hang out again. Should I tell him that while he's a sweetheart, I don't have time to polish his rough edges? Or should I throw caution to the wind and enjoy the moment?

Stay tuned...

Comments

Ninalocks said…
Oh honey. You're in for it. I'm going to blog about you next!
ninavstheworld.blogspot.com
Ninalocks said…
Let's just say. You still have time to put the car in reverse and floor it!
MackDiva said…
Well...I think I'll just have to take my chances. Go for it!

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're

Long-Distance Sucks

I hate long-distance relationships. Absolutely despise them. So, you ask, why am I currently in one? The short answer is, “I don’t know.” The real answer is, “I don’t know anyone locally that gets me.” Tinderfella is in New York. I am in Texas. Maybe I shouldn’t have let it get this far. Maybe I should’ve nipped it in the bud. But I didn’t. Now I find myself strung out over a man I won’t get to touch until September — IF I’m lucky. With my cycle and every other factor that could exert itself over my situation, I don’t know if we’ll get to see each other then. I don’t like this. I want to kick it with him after work. Maybe hook up and see a movie. Or not. We could cuddle on the couch or discuss the day’s events or just breathe each other’s air. I wanna watch his face light up when he sees me or frown when he gets mad. I want to learn his facial expressions and body language well enough to read joy, peace, anger, and hatred on him. Basically, I want to be with him in a real and meaningfu