Skip to main content

The End of an Era

You know, I'm not one of those people who gets bugged out by celebrities. After all, I've worked in the entertainment industry most of my adult life. Even though I haven't everyone I'd like to yet, I've been fortunate enough to meet some of the ones who've gone on before -- Luther Vandross, Gerald Levert, Aaliyah, to name a few. Unfortunately for me, that list does not include Michael Jackson. And now, thanks to his untimely death at the tender age of 50, I never will.

I am so hurt by Michael's death, and I couldn't figure out why. Then I started reminiscing about my first encounters with his music...

Because my mother wasn't a fan of the Jackson 5 -- don't ask me why -- their music wasn't in my house. Marvin Gaye, yes. Curtis Mayfield, yes. The O'Jays, The Spinners, Gladys Knight & The Pips? Yes, yes, yes. We even had Natalie Cole and The Emotions. But no Jackson 5. When I was in the third grade, my teacher, Mrs. Heldt, would let us listen to music if we finished our work early. And that, my friend, is where I discovered the amazing voice of Michael Jackson. Although I liked ABC, my favorite was The Love You Save. I worked like a Trojan everyday just so I could put on a pair of headphones and listen to this little boy who couldn't have been too much older than me sing his heart out.

To say I was hooked would be an understatement. I began to search for this elusive boy wonder. Of course, by 1979, he was a grown man. My first true album experience with him was Off the Wall. When my mom went to the hospital to have my brother, I stayed with my uncle and his family. My cousin had just copped the new MJ album, and it was awesome. We put it on while we played and sang and had a good time.

By the time Thriller came out, I was 13-years-old and more than ready to embrace all that Michael had to offer. My stepfather brought the album home, and I wore it out. It was so bad that the liner notes -- complete with the lyrics -- was falling apart in a matter of months. I loved all thing Michael at that point. While I wasn't fortunate enough to have the red jacket, I did have a glove and some glitter socks. (Besides, I really wanted the white jacket worn by the rival gang leader in the Beat It video.)

Of course, like everything in childhood, my love for Michael waned -- especially when New Edition came out. It wasn't that I didn't love him anymore, but with him being so much older than me, I realized that a romance was impossible. Don't get me wrong -- I still loved his music. Remember the Time came out when I'm in college, and I still love that song.

Over the years, Michael's interesting way of life tainted the squeaky-clean image he had when I was a kid. Even still, I loved him. As for the molestation situation, I'll say this. I don't know what he did, but I blame the parents who let their children stay with him more than I blame him. How stupid are you to let your baby boy stay with a grown stranger?

Fast forward to June 25th. I was coming home from breakfast with my boyfriend when I got an email saying that Michael Jackson had suffered a heart attack. After that, I turned on the television and my computer to see if it was true. Naturally, it was devastating to me when it was confirmed. And I'm still devastated.

I think my friend, Tikia, said it best when she said that MJ's death signifies the end of our childhood. R.I.P to both my innocence and Michael Jackson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Barack, the Nomination, and Black Love

I'm so excited about Barack Obama! I know I'm just joining the teeming millions when I say that, but I think something this big is worth repeating. Never before in the history of our country has a Black man been in a position to lead the free world, and it feels good. I'm so glad that I've lived long enough to see this day.

Beside the fact that Barack is a great candidate for the Democratic party, I'm moved by his relationship with Michelle. Not since The Cosby Show have we seen a successful Black couple who have a genuine and sincere love and respect for one another. What makes their relationship so special is that it's real -- not the product of someone's imagination.

I obviously don't know Michelle Obama, but I want to grow up to be just like her. I love the fact that she doesn't NEED Barack. She's strong, smart, and successful in her own right, yet secure enough to fall back and be supportive of her man. That's something that all y…

In My Feelings...Again

There are times when I think I should change the name of this blog. Today I do NOT feel like a diva. I feel like a pitiful mess of a woman who's completely in my feelings.

I hate it when I get here.

I was minding my business last night when Juice hit me up. (Remind me to tell you about him later.) He wanted to hang out because we'd actually said we would. But he's he's only after one thing and I wasn't inspired enough to venture out to deal with him, so I told him I was in for the evening.

At the same time, New Boo asked me if I'd done my hair.

Let's be clear. My hair in and of itself isn't necessarily that big a deal. However, him asking me about it could indicate that I was on his mind and that he cared about me in more than a horizontal way. That would be awesome...but I know it's not true. Even though I engaged in conversation with him -- because that's what I do -- it was painful.

I am lonely. I want to be with someone who cares about me. I…

Out of Time

Time. You always think you have more...until you don't. I'm there.

I just left the doctor, where we discussed my fibroid. She said it was huge. So huge, in fact, that she couldn't get it all. If there's a need for another surgery, it'll be a hysterectomy.

I want babies. I want to be someone's mother. I also want to be someone's wife before I become someone's mother. And therein lies my dilemma.

It would be stupid for me to have a baby with My Teddy Bear. That's the reality of my life right now. But it would be even stupider to have a child with New Boo. Not only does he not want any more babies, he does't take care of the ones he already has. I would be an absolute idiot to attempt procreation with him. And as quiet as it's kept, I'm not interested in raising a child alone. I want my baby to have a mother AND a father.

So here I am, a 46-year-old woman who's run out of time.