Skip to main content

Sheltered

Am I too sheltered? Have I protected myself too much?

I find myself wondering about these things lately. Especially when I see my Facebook friends happily hooking up with one person, then another. Each time their faces reflect the joy that can only come from love, both giving and receiving. In my quest to protect my heart, have I missed out on that?

Although I've had my fair share of lovers, I haven't really dated much. And the guys that I've chosen to spend my vertical time with haven't always been sweet to me. Most times, they start off wonderful. I start seeing forever in their eyes. And then the sex comes. That's usually about the same time the clouds hit their countenance. Suddenly the funny jokes start to have an edge to them. Then, "Call me when you get home so I know you've made it," turns into "See ya."

I let a few of them hang on after then, but not many. And now I wonder...is it necessary to hold on a little longer to get the love you actually want? And if that's the case, why didn't I ever do that? In most cases, I tried. But when it was all said and done, it seemed like I held on too long anyway.

But what I'm really wondering is why I've never really let anyone into my heart with the same ease that I let them into my bed. I wonder if I'd really allowed them to love me, would they have stayed? Would I have taken that march down the aisle into the the arms of a man who wanted to change my name? I don't know.

As I face the prospect of turning 42 with absolutely no love interests in sight, I find myself reflecting on all the loves and lovers I've had. I wish I could figure out why not a one of them cared enough to spend their lives with me. I kinda get it about the lovers. But the loves? The ones who really made me want to share my heart. The ones who knew about the craziness that goes on in my head...where are they? If they said they loved me, why wasn't it enough?

Okay...this is an exercise in futility. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Comments

GypsyCircus said…
Let me first start off by saying, you have much more experience on me, as I am only 19, and have not had a single date in my life... But let me also say this: I know what you mean... I too am overly guarded of my heart and who I let hold on to it. It wasn't until age 19 that I even considered 'dating' someone. I didn't want to be heart-broken, but even more than that, I didn't believe I was capable of 'love'. And I know this sounds totally corny, but I guess love believed in me, because it found me, no matter how hard I tried to push it out of my mind. I just got lucky and met a great guy right off the bat. Now who knows how that will go, maybe things won't work out and I will end up broken hearted and then I'll never let myself close to anyone ever again... But I will say this: You do have to open up a little (I say a little because I know too many people who open up too much and just end up getting hurt over and over again). Just remember that you have to love yourself, have confidence, and let other people love you the right way before you can be loved. This is all coming from the girl who still thinks that love in simply a myth :) So you know I'm being honest!
I don't know that I believe there is a soul mate out there for everyone, but I do believe that you should hold out for the right person. Don't go for some guy just because he tells you you are beautiful every morning, question his intentions, guard your heart but don't lock it up.
I hope someday you find the person who will treat you how you deserve to be treated!
Good luck!
- Gypsy.

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're