Skip to main content

Sheltered

Am I too sheltered? Have I protected myself too much?

I find myself wondering about these things lately. Especially when I see my Facebook friends happily hooking up with one person, then another. Each time their faces reflect the joy that can only come from love, both giving and receiving. In my quest to protect my heart, have I missed out on that?

Although I've had my fair share of lovers, I haven't really dated much. And the guys that I've chosen to spend my vertical time with haven't always been sweet to me. Most times, they start off wonderful. I start seeing forever in their eyes. And then the sex comes. That's usually about the same time the clouds hit their countenance. Suddenly the funny jokes start to have an edge to them. Then, "Call me when you get home so I know you've made it," turns into "See ya."

I let a few of them hang on after then, but not many. And now I wonder...is it necessary to hold on a little longer to get the love you actually want? And if that's the case, why didn't I ever do that? In most cases, I tried. But when it was all said and done, it seemed like I held on too long anyway.

But what I'm really wondering is why I've never really let anyone into my heart with the same ease that I let them into my bed. I wonder if I'd really allowed them to love me, would they have stayed? Would I have taken that march down the aisle into the the arms of a man who wanted to change my name? I don't know.

As I face the prospect of turning 42 with absolutely no love interests in sight, I find myself reflecting on all the loves and lovers I've had. I wish I could figure out why not a one of them cared enough to spend their lives with me. I kinda get it about the lovers. But the loves? The ones who really made me want to share my heart. The ones who knew about the craziness that goes on in my head...where are they? If they said they loved me, why wasn't it enough?

Okay...this is an exercise in futility. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Comments

GypsyCircus said…
Let me first start off by saying, you have much more experience on me, as I am only 19, and have not had a single date in my life... But let me also say this: I know what you mean... I too am overly guarded of my heart and who I let hold on to it. It wasn't until age 19 that I even considered 'dating' someone. I didn't want to be heart-broken, but even more than that, I didn't believe I was capable of 'love'. And I know this sounds totally corny, but I guess love believed in me, because it found me, no matter how hard I tried to push it out of my mind. I just got lucky and met a great guy right off the bat. Now who knows how that will go, maybe things won't work out and I will end up broken hearted and then I'll never let myself close to anyone ever again... But I will say this: You do have to open up a little (I say a little because I know too many people who open up too much and just end up getting hurt over and over again). Just remember that you have to love yourself, have confidence, and let other people love you the right way before you can be loved. This is all coming from the girl who still thinks that love in simply a myth :) So you know I'm being honest!
I don't know that I believe there is a soul mate out there for everyone, but I do believe that you should hold out for the right person. Don't go for some guy just because he tells you you are beautiful every morning, question his intentions, guard your heart but don't lock it up.
I hope someday you find the person who will treat you how you deserve to be treated!
Good luck!
- Gypsy.

Popular posts from this blog

My Personal Superhero

My Teddy Bear continues to prove that he loves me in ways I never thought about.

As I told you before, I've been dealing with health issues. It's not pretty at all. I won't go into details, but let's just say that it's messy and leaves me weak sometimes. Weaker than I'd ever want to admit, actually.

Anyway, a friend of mine was coming to visit and I was trying to get my house ready. I managed to clean my bedroom and the bathroom before MTB came over. All I had to do was get the living room and kitchen together. But my body wasn't cooperating at all. I was in so much pain that I laid it down.

I woke up the next morning in a complete mess from my issue. After I got up to clean myself up, he says to me, "Go lay down. I'm gonna finish up for you." I wanted to argue, but I couldn't because I was in too much pain.

That man cleaned my apartment. All of it. Swept AND mopped my floors and did all my dishes. And did it with a smile.

Just thinking ab…

Now What?

I don't know what I'm gonna do. I am having issues right now.

First of all, I'm realizing some things about myself that I really don't like admitting. For one, I am NOT satisfied with My Teddy Bear. Why, you ask? Because sex isn't a priority with him.

Some people drink. Some smoke. I like to have sex. It quiets the voices in my head that talk crazy to me. For those brief, shining moments, I get to be the best of me. I'm beautiful, sexy, and desirable. No matter how fat I am, in that moment I'm able to make someone else feel good. That makes me feel good. Also,  I know how to relate on that level, so everything that I perceive to be wrong with me goes out the window.

MTB doesn't know this. Even though I've always felt this way, I don't talk about it. Most of the guys I know actually want sex. They probably use it the way I do -- as a feel-good situation.

Things with New Boo weren't like that. We had a real connection. Or at least I thought we…

The End

Dear New Boo,

I knew that tonight would be a pivotal moment in our history, and you did not disappoint. No matter what I thought before this evening, you addressed everything I needed clarification on. Thank you for that.
I had all kinds of fanciful thoughts in my mind about what this evening would be. I took every scenario I could and played it out to its end. Each and every one of them. And when I got to the one that actually happened, I thought to myself, surely he won't let this happen. Surely he cares more than that. If he reached out, surely he'll follow through.
But no...not you. You did what you always do. You stood me up, and you let me down. Again. 
I shouldn't be surprised. In fact, I'm not. No matter how much faith I try to put in you, you constantly prove that you don't deserve it. No matter how much I try to see the good in you, you always manage to bring the worst to the forefront. And if my feelings are hurt, it's my fault for trying.
You don…