Skip to main content

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me.

One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called "Battle of the Sexes." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences.

The last couple of times I've gone, I've chatted with a young man. He's a cutie, but I don't think he's on the same page I am. For one, his commentary at the battles could be construed as anti-female. He and boys are the ones who think monogamy is for suckas and women are the enemy.

So why have I entertained this guy? No particular reason. Like I said, he IS a cutie. His convo really isn't serious, and I think he's mostly responding to my brand of passive-aggressive flirting that men sometimes misconstrue as an invitation for sex. The last time I saw him, he took it to the next level by asking for my number. While I was flattered by the attention, frankly, I'm scared to death.

Here's the deal. When I first started this celibacy thing, I did it because I was tired of hooking up with guys who didn't have relationships on their minds -- only relations. At my age, I need more than your typical "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am" situations. After Granny died, I felt like she was watching me, and I didn't want her to see me like that.

After going without for almost a year, I'm having an extreme attack of LSE (Low Self-Esteem). I won't go into it right now, but let's just say that I'm wondering if a guy like him could have any legitimate interest in a girl like me. If and when he calls, I hope my voice won't give me away. I hope I can have a decent conversation with him without my desperation showing. And I hope that he'll be trying to get to know about MackDiva, The Woman, not MackDiva, The Sex Goddess.

Don't get me wrong -- sex is a beautiful thing. However, I've had enough to last a lifetime. Now I'm interested in making love with a guy who loves and respects me in all my splendorous glory. That takes time and energy, and I refuse to invest either of those things in someone whose only purpose in being with me is to get me naked.

Yes, I'm probably overthinking this thing. After all, he might just think I'm cool. Maybe he's looking for a homie to hang out with, someone to kick it with during the game. Either way, I won't know until he calls. Wish me luck...

Comments

Great post! I really liked this one. I would love to read more commentary from you regarding your dating experiences.
Janelle said…
Of course I wish you luck in what ever you do (especially the moving back to NY part). However to quote my press & curl partner in crime, "it's called self esteem for a reason. it's esteem of your mother fucking self!"LMAO

But seriously, don't let the dating drought think you are the one that is at fault and let that effect how you feel about you. Continue working on you and eventually the right man will see what we your friends already see.
Love ya!
Unknown said…
I am trying to get caught up...I'm in accidental celibacy mode and I am not sure how long this has been going on ....like July of 2006, but if Phone sex or text sex counts then...its another story, but I haven't had any of that since like July either...it's nice to hear the adventures of other celibate women ....I am and wondering where the day is going to take me on this one...my self esteem has actually risen and I am getting to know me much faster...it is about time I am 40....I did have flashbacks to a college escapade thanks to his resurrection on facebook (he found me first...thank God) and so my celibate mode feels like it could be tested....if I ran into him....thank God for the distance between Alabama and California
Tiffany said…
Geez, I can't believe y'all are on this kick too. LOL. I'm trying to think of activities to keep me focused on the celibate movement; it's actually not that difficult considering the pool of available men and of course the one's who forget they are unavailable.

I am so where you are. We're women, we can pretty much capture any dude we want just because we're women, but who wants "any" dude?

Re-virginized!
Anonymous said…
And who is this guy, Miss Diva? :) We so have to catch up.

Tiffany

Popular posts from this blog

There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're

Long-Distance Sucks

I hate long-distance relationships. Absolutely despise them. So, you ask, why am I currently in one? The short answer is, “I don’t know.” The real answer is, “I don’t know anyone locally that gets me.” Tinderfella is in New York. I am in Texas. Maybe I shouldn’t have let it get this far. Maybe I should’ve nipped it in the bud. But I didn’t. Now I find myself strung out over a man I won’t get to touch until September — IF I’m lucky. With my cycle and every other factor that could exert itself over my situation, I don’t know if we’ll get to see each other then. I don’t like this. I want to kick it with him after work. Maybe hook up and see a movie. Or not. We could cuddle on the couch or discuss the day’s events or just breathe each other’s air. I wanna watch his face light up when he sees me or frown when he gets mad. I want to learn his facial expressions and body language well enough to read joy, peace, anger, and hatred on him. Basically, I want to be with him in a real and meaningfu