Skip to main content

On Making Love...

When I was younger, I used to wonder what the term "making love" meant. I mean, was love something you could mix up and serve with tea? What do you put in love? Where do the ingredients come from? If TV was to be believed, love was as common as food. Therefore, was there a difference between the homemade kind and the kind you could get at the drive-in? It was all so confusing then.

Fast forward to now. Even though I'm well aware of the terminology of sex, it's still just as confusing. I mean, does everyone have to be in love for the physical expression to be called "making love?" If we're not in one accord with our feelings, what do we call the joining of our bodies? Boning? Screwing? I would use the more vulgar terms, but this is a family blog.

For the time being, I'm putting my need for physical gratification on hold. Don't get it twisted -- it's hard for me to do this. However, because I want more than a pretty mess on my dress, I'm waiting. I want my next naked encounter to involve friendship, love, honor, respect, and admiration on both parts. When I choose to engage in intimacy with a man, I want him to be someone who'll care about my vertical life, not just our horizontal one. And because I finally know who I am and what I want and need, getting hot and heavy with Mr. Right Now is not an option. I'm waiting to make love.

Oh, and I still haven't heard from that guy...

Comments

Janelle said…
tag you're it. (check my blog and see what that means)
Unknown said…
I wrote this blog a few years back for an english class...blogging may not have had its name (or if it did it wasn't yet the popular kid in school it has become), I was trying to turn in a bunch of overdue papers so as the pass the class and 80% of your sentiments here are what I expressed to my teacher in the form of what I called "not-so-love" letters ...the series wasn't anti love or anti Love but they were just "not-so-love" letters. I like you am still confused by all of the terms and my son is 6...well my old flame that recently found me on facebook who btw sends one word answers or one sentence responses to my verbal diarrhea messages on facebook says "we should get together" as it relates to my pending trip to my homecoming festivities at Tuskegee in November...we will see if my accidental celibacy gets challenged

all love
dk

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're