Skip to main content

"Touch Me in the Morning..."

I don't know what happened, but somewhere between the "screw you, bitch" and him responding negatively to my question, "Do you know what you're apologizing for," my love died. Not a screaming, crying, whimpering death. More of a quiet, "you know what you have to do" type death. The kind that comes after the pain has settled in and made a home in your heart.

The way I see it, there's a window after a major infraction where you can make things right. You can say, "Baby, I didn't mean what I said. I was drunk/high/frustrated with my life/etc. and took it out on you, and I was wrong. Please forgive me." At that point, even if you make someone suffer a few more minutes/hours/etc., you know that you'll be able to move on from the situation none the worse for wear.

And then there's what my foolish-ass boyfriend did.

After saying, "Screw you, bitch," and hanging up, he didn't even try to call back. When he did -- a few HOURS later -- he tried to act like nothing had happened. In fact, it wasn't until I had gone a day without speaking to him that he even tried to acknowledge that something had shifted. The voicemail message said, "I got nothing. Call me when you want to talk."





Seriously? That's all you got, sir? I was completely done. Then, half an hour later, I get this...


Uh, do you HONESTLY think that a "I love you" is a "Get Out of Jail Free" card? That's what it feels like to me at this point. And you KNOW I'm not having it.

And furthermore, you'll see that I didn't acknowledge the "screw you" part. Honestly, that's because it took me a few more days to process that. It's almost like your mind can't handle too much trauma at once, so it shields you from it until you're strong enough.

When it finally came together in my head a few days later, I just had to marvel at the blatantness of what went on here. So...you're just gonna cuss me out, hang up on me, and expect everything to be hunky AND dory. I'm not supposed to feel anything in light of what you said. And your "love" is supposed to be the salve that makes it right? HA! In the immortal words of that great southern philosopher named Beyoncé, "You must not know 'bout me."

Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Barack, the Nomination, and Black Love

I'm so excited about Barack Obama! I know I'm just joining the teeming millions when I say that, but I think something this big is worth repeating. Never before in the history of our country has a Black man been in a position to lead the free world, and it feels good. I'm so glad that I've lived long enough to see this day.

Beside the fact that Barack is a great candidate for the Democratic party, I'm moved by his relationship with Michelle. Not since The Cosby Show have we seen a successful Black couple who have a genuine and sincere love and respect for one another. What makes their relationship so special is that it's real -- not the product of someone's imagination.

I obviously don't know Michelle Obama, but I want to grow up to be just like her. I love the fact that she doesn't NEED Barack. She's strong, smart, and successful in her own right, yet secure enough to fall back and be supportive of her man. That's something that all y…

Out of Time

Time. You always think you have more...until you don't. I'm there.

I just left the doctor, where we discussed my fibroid. She said it was huge. So huge, in fact, that she couldn't get it all. If there's a need for another surgery, it'll be a hysterectomy.

I want babies. I want to be someone's mother. I also want to be someone's wife before I become someone's mother. And therein lies my dilemma.

It would be stupid for me to have a baby with My Teddy Bear. That's the reality of my life right now. But it would be even stupider to have a child with New Boo. Not only does he not want any more babies, he does't take care of the ones he already has. I would be an absolute idiot to attempt procreation with him. And as quiet as it's kept, I'm not interested in raising a child alone. I want my baby to have a mother AND a father.

So here I am, a 46-year-old woman who's run out of time.

The Price of Bought Sense

My grandmother used to always say, "Bought sense is better than told." What she was saying was that some knowledge could only be "bought," or experienced. However, sometimes the cost is too great.

For the fourth time this year, my heart is heavy with the news of another death. My best friend's sister lost her son in the fifth month of pregnancy. Even though she lost a baby last year, this one was way more painful for her. Not only had she begun to show, but she had to go through full-fledged labor to deliver the child.

My friend, who is handling the funeral arrangements, found out today that a mother's life insurance doesn't cover her unborn child. That means that my friend and her family are going to have to come out of their pockets to cover the cost of burying this baby who never saw the light of day.

When a baby's on the way, everyone in the family is involved. Even the children. My friend's nephew was so excited about the prospect of having an…