Skip to main content

My Two-Cents on the Suleman Situation

Unless you've been under a rock, you've heard about the case of the 33-year-old California woman who just gave birth to octuplets. Not only is Nadya Suleman single and lives at home with her parents, she's also the mother of six other children. The recent birth brings her total to 14 children under the age of eight.

At this point, the questions are flying around -- why would anyone with six kids allow herself to be implanted with eight embryos? What fertility doctor would allow a woman with six children to have eight embryos implanted? Investigations are currently underway, and I'm sure the media will keep us abreast of her every move from now until Jesus comes.

While I personally think Ms. Suleman is insane, my problem with her is the same one I have with any single woman who chooses to become a mother without the benefit of a man. It's unfair to the child. Children deserve to have a mother AND a father.

Now don't get me wrong. I know that women are capable of raising children alone. I'm keenly aware of it because my mother was a single parent. We all know folks who are raising children alone after a death or divorce. And while it's a sad state of affairs, there are PLENTY of men who shirk their responsibilities when it comes to their children. In fact, the majority of single mothers I know didn't think they'd actually be raising a child or children by themselves.

However, it's one thing to have a baby and have the man, for whatever reason, abandon his family. It's another thing all together when there was never a man in the picture. I personally find it extremely selfish.

It's like this -- each one of us is a product of our mothers and our fathers. Their DNA determines the color of our hair and eyes, and in a lot of cases, our personalities and proclivities. When there isn't a father in the picture, a child has no way of understanding a) what a father is, and b) why Mom, Grandma, and Uncle John are all dark-skinned while he or she is fair-skinned with green eyes.

Case in point: as a small child, there wasn't any talk of a daddy. When I went to school, some kids would talk about their fathers. I was like, "What's that?" Obviously, there weren't many five-year-olds who could explain such a lofty ideal, so I was left thinking that anyone could fill the position. I remember asking all the men I knew, "Will you be my daddy?" The guys were always polite in their refusals, but I'm sure my mother was embarrassed.

As I got older, I understood that I didn't have a father, but that opened up other questions for me. Why? What was so wrong with me that my father didn't want me? These are questions that still haunt me today.

All I'm saying to Nadya and other women like her -- please take the time to consider the children you're bringing into the world. Yes, you want a baby, but don't they deserve a family?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th