Skip to main content

My State of Mind & Other Randomness

This past weekend was a whirlwind of emotions, and I don't know if I've completely recovered, but I need to share.

One of my best friends lost her mother, and I went to Texas to be with her during what had to be one of the hardest times in her life. I loved her mother, too, so it was hard on me, too. But I'm thankful that I could be available to my friend. After all, we will ALL be in that position one day, and I just wanted to be available to her. In the process, I learned a lot.

For one, I realized that I miss my Christian friends. That's not to say that I don't have Christian friends around now. But these are people that were born and bred in the ways of righteousness. My homegirl is so cold that if you call out a number of a hymn in the Baptist hymnal, she knows the song. That's not necessarily something that everyone thinks is cool, but I do. Since that's not my story, I admire that. Which leads me to another point...

I miss singing. When I lived in California, I was a member of a church and sang on the praise team every week. It was the first time I'd done any regular singing since college, and I realize how much I need it in my life. Some people may take that to mean that I'm vain, but more than anything, that's my service to the Lord. I am a singer. Period. I also had a group of singer friends that I could run with to various karaokes in the city. Unlike most people who use it to have a drunken good time, it was a workout for us. My play-husband and I liked to call ourself karaoke terrorists because we would blow up the stage when we finished singing. 

I don't know if New Boo and I are going to make it. Not because I don't love him -- because I do. More than life itself. However, I don't know how I can reconcile some of his behaviors. For instance, I was out of town. Now I recognize that it was only from Friday to Sunday, but with the kind of pain I was experiencing, I just wanted to wrap up in his arms and let it all go. So what did HE do? He went out with his friends after work instead. And his drunk tail didn't get home until after 1am. To make matters worse, I actually left the house at 1 because I didn't want to kill him. When I got home, he was so drunk that he didn't even notice that I'd been gone. After losing that other one to alcoholism, it's not cool to me for him to be like that -- even if isn't every day.

More than anything else, I know something that I haven't shared with others. Sin is ONLY good for a season. And living with someone isn't something that I want to do for an extended period of time without a marriage license. And while I want to marry New Boo -- and he says he wants to marry me, too -- things like this give me pause.

I can admit that I might be overreacting in light of all that's going on, but I still think it's necessary to deal with it. Also, New Boo did something that I almost want to deem unforgivable -- he shut me down, saying, "I said I'm sorry, and you keep throwing it up in my face." Uh...it just happened last night. I didn't want to go there and say that EVERY time we have a discussion about people FROM MY PAST that he brings things up like they're a threat. There's one incident I told him about in November that he STILL talks about. 

Am I crazy to love him? Am I crazy to stay? And am I holding on to him because I don't know if I'll ever find anyone who can love me like he does? Or is it just that I need him now? I'm so twisted.

One thing I DO know, though, he's a much better fit for me than an ex that I ran into while I was gone. I saw him in the airport, and his teeth are jacked up, and I'm not convinced that he loves his wife enough because he was trying to proposition me. That's not something I think New Boo would ever do. So one prevailing thought I had all weekend was that I dodged a bullet.

Again...I think I'm losing it...I just don't know. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're