Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye

We had the funeral over the weekend. Please know & trust that yours truly acted all the way up. I tried to hold it together, but in the end it all fell apart.

Let me back up & say that, for the most part, the service was lovely. There were some things that should've been done differently -- and I'll share them at a later date -- but my cousin preached ever so eloquently. Then came the moment of truth, also known as the viewing of the body.

Everyone handles that thing differently. There are those who walk by, look at the guest of honor, and keep it moving. Some check out the main attraction, and then come to where the family is to show them some love. Still others come to the family first & see the deceased last.

When it comes to the family, the situation is handled according to their relationship with the person of note. My cousin, who hadn't seen Granny in a while, wept the whole time. When it was time for the parting view, she cried even more. My brother, the youngest of the grandchildren, was hurt. While he never made a sound, he cried at the casket for the longest time. My mother and my uncle, Granny's primary caretakers, were very calm. I believe they'd made their peace with the inevitable long ago, so they just looked & sat down. My grandmother's other son was hurt, but I think his was more guilt-based. He and his wife, whom I'll have to you about at a later date, stood there, looked, and sat down. Then it was my turn.

Against the advice of all involved, I went to the casket alone. The thing was that there was an odd number of people on the front row, and I was absolutely not going up there with my grandmother's other son. One of my favorite cousins offered to go with me, but I thought I'd be cool. After all, I'd already made it through the viewing of the body and the wake. I thought I could just go there, look, and sit down. And I tried. Really I did. I looked at my dearly beloved Granny, my first friend and best magic, and tried to say goodbye in a solemn and dignified manner. I wanted to stand there like my brother and cry silently. However, all my good intentions came crashing down like a house of cards when I realized that the reason the number of people was odd because she wasn't there.

I put my hand over my mouth to hold it in, but I couldn't do anything to stop the sobbing. Then I escalated to full-fledged hollering as I doubled over. At this point, I felt several arms around me as they carried me out. When I got to the back, I slipped to ground and just boo-hooed like a baby. One of my cousins rocked me as she comforted me with, "Look at all the love Granny left you. And think of how much fun she must be having up there with her loved ones." I stayed like that for a long time.

Finally, I pulled myself together enough to get up off the floor and go back in the sanctuary. By that time, they'd loaded Granny up on the hearse and my family was getting in the limo to go to the cemetery. The worst was over.

Comments

Janelle said…
I hope you felt the loving arms of your friends. We couldn't be with you in person (KImora still has my jet..heffa!) but we were with you in prayer and spirit.

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're