Skip to main content

On Hillary and Barack...

I read Hillary Clinton's new comments about Rev. Jeremiah Wright with interest. In case you missed it, the former first lady told reporters that if she were a member of the Trinity United Church of Christ, she would've moved her membership after hearing what she referred to as his divisive remarks. In fact, her exact quote was, I think that given all we have heard and seen, he would not have been my pastor." She said this to deflect criticism over her erroneous accounts of her Bosnia trip.

If I had any doubt about my support for Barack Obama before, I certainly don't now. First of all, I find it amazing how Hillary waited to weigh in on the controversy surrounding Obama's association with Rev. Wright until she was in the hot seat. Reporters have been asking her about the controversy since it first came to light, but she used her response as a "Get out of Jail Free" card. She basically said, "Yes, I made a 'mistake' by saying that I landed in a war-torn situation, but at least I wouldn't associate with someone like Rev. Wright."

It's apparent to me that Hillary has absolutely no sense of loyalty whatsoever. I loved the way Barack put it when he said:

"I can no more disown [Rev. Wright] than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother -– a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe. These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love."

Hillary's insistence on throwing Rev. Wright under the bus makes me wonder whether or not she'll treat our allies like that if they say or do something that doesn't "sit well" with the American public. Will her foreign policy shift in the face of "political correctness?"

Furthermore, White America loves to act as if racism is just a figment of Black America's imagination. Anytime any racial issue comes up, White America loves to dismiss it and sweep it under the rug. Their attitude is, "Look, we gave you people the right to vote and equality in education. As if that weren't enough, we gave you breaks to make sure a certain number of you can slip in to our world. We stop lynching you and made you equal citizens. Isn't that enough?"

The truth of the matter is that even though laws were passed, the enforcement of the legislation leaves a lot to be desired. In the new millennium, African Americans are still dealing with "firsts." General Colin Powell was the first black Secretary of State in 2001, Ruth Simmons became the first black president of an Ivy League institution (Brown University) in 2001, and in 2008, David Patterson became the first black governor of New York.

I won't even bore you with the statistics of disparities in health care, education, and economics. Just know, White America, that Black America has NOT overcome.

Furthermore, I like the way Barack chose to meet his critics head-on with a speech that conveyed what a lot of people in this country feel without offending anyone in particular. The Senator from Illinois chose to set aside the "politics as usual" banner and speak the truth from his heart. After 16 years of lies, deceptions, and cover ups, his candidness is a refreshing change.

Hillary, on the other hand, is not only functioning in the "politics as usual" vein, she's also living in a fantasy world. She's lost the majority of the primaries and caucuses in this election. She's not leading in delegates. Yet she's still holding on to the idea of being the Democratic nominee. In the immortal words of Kenny Rogers, Mrs. Clinton needs to, quote, "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run." Her main problem was that she did what Kenny said to never do, "count your money while you're sitting at the table." In fact, he said that, "there'll be time enough for counting when the deal was done."

Could someone please tell Bill Clinton's wife that the deal is done, and she's come up short?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th